Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wood Gathering Time..............

Since I've got the new woodstove in and a shitload of wood cut already, I figured I better get after it and split some of this stuff.

Now splitting wood with a maul is not up on the top of my list of, "favorite things to do", but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've got a promise from a very reliable friend on the use of his log splitter. Problem is, with my upcoming surgery, I have a pretty limited time frame to get things done.

Seems like I'm not the only one with this idea either. I called a couple of rental places today and they are all being used and or locked in till next week some time.

So I said, "Screw it" and went after things with the maul today.

Lord am I out of shape! Once upon a time I kinda liked splitting wood. I took it easy and paced myself so I'm not crippled tomorrow and still got a pretty good bit split.

There were 2 trees on the ground that I had cut 2-3 weeks ago that needed cut up too. My old Homelite Super XL decided that it didn't like the clutch any more and puked
that out just after dropping them. The old saw has been nickle and diming me to death lately so I broke down and bought one of these the other day.

It's a pretty ass kick saw. So much nicer to use than the old one.

24" bar, blah, blah, blah. Damn nice saw.
The 5 year warranty and the lifetime warranty on the coil/electrics were what sold me.

Cheaper than a comparable Stihl by at least a hundred bucks, too. And let's face it, every dollar counts these days.

So I'm gonna be getting wood split and stacked over the next week or so. Winter ain't that far off and I only have a cord split and ready now. I probably have 4-5 cords cut and dried that need splitting already. And that's not counting the 2 trees I cut up up today.

I REALLY hope that logsplitter shows up!

Gratuitous Picture -